While considering the sale of your Orlando luxury home, keep in mind the importance of an appropriately staged house. Presentation is everything! Be sure your Orlando, Windermere, and Dr Phillips home for sale is ahead of the pack, and gain a competitive edge, by considering the following staging tips for your real estate sale.
1. Curb Appeal – The most important step in home staging, is creating enticing curb appeal. You do not get a second chance to make a first impression, and the first impression of the potential home buyer takes place before they even step out of their vehicle.
- Keep landscaping well trimmed, free of weeds, and the lawn manicured.
- Accent your property with potted plants and colorful blooms.
- Power wash exterior concrete, including driveway and sidewalk areas.
- A fresh coat of paint on the front door, polished hardware, and a tidy new doormat are all easy updates that will go a long way with the initial impression of your home.
- Complete necessary outdoor repairs.
2. Clean Up! Prior to listing your Orlando home for sale, be sure to deep clean your entire home from top to bottom, inside and out. Think…hotel clean. Think…your in-laws are coming to stay for a week - clean. Remember to clean baseboards, ceiling fans, cupboards, and drawers. Remember to clean the inside and outside of every window, as well as giving your large appliances a deep clean inside and out. Keeping your home in tip-top, sparkling shape will reflect an overall, well cared for property.
3. Paint – It is amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do for a room. Keep colors warm and neutral. Although you may not need to repaint the entire home, be sure to take a good look at the trim, and baseboards. Touch up paint can also go a long way with giving a renewed appearance to your home.
4. Repairs – This is a very important step. Time to start checking items off of your “honey-do” list. All needed repairs should be completed prior to showing your Orlando home. Unfinished projects (large and small) are a turn off to potential buyers, and can ultimately hinder the sale of your property. Remember to repair all plumbing, faucets, and even running toilets. Inspect the caulking in the showers and tubs, and re-caulk as necessary. Repair items may not be detected during a showing by potential buyers, however repairs are always detected during the home inspection. Better safe than sorry...fix necessary items PRIOR to listing your home on the market.
5. Lighting – Proper lighting when showing your home is crucial. Add lamps where needed, especially to brighten dark corners. Turn every light on, for every single showing, even during the daytime. Also be sure to keep all window treatments completely open to allow the most natural light possible. By doing so, you will also showcase the natural outdoor surroundings.
6. De-clutter – Say bye-bye to clutter! Less is more, especially in closets and cabinets. Remember, you want to highlight the storage space in your home - storage space SELLS!
- Remove all small kitchen appliances from counter tops.
- Remove refrigerator artwork and magnets.
- Put away personal bathroom necessity items.
- Do not over furnish a room.
- Remove worn or damaged pieces of furniture.
- For more spacious and functional rooms, consider removing half of the decorative accessories and furniture. If a piece of furniture is worn or damaged remove it.
7. Depersonalize - Home Buyers need to see your Orlando HOME, not your personal stuff. Belongings such as photos, collections, personal awards, electronics and collectibles make it challenging for buyers to envision themselves in the home. By removing your personal items, buyers can identify with the space easier. Most importantly, it provides an opportunity for the buyer to form an emotional connection with the home – seeing it as THEIR home.
8. Don’t forget the Garage – It is equally as important to declutter and organize the garage area. Be sure the buyer can visualize car(s) parked in the space, as well as vital storage opportunities.
9. Finishing Touches & Accessories – Accent your kitchen with a bowl of fresh fruit, or a nice cookbook properly displayed on a book easel. Place an arrangement of fresh flowers on the dining room table, or even on a table in the foyer or in the hallway area. Books, flowers, and/or nicely rolled up (fluffy) white towels in bathrooms all create an inviting impression. Use mirrors to accent rooms. A great way to utilize a mirror to enhance space is to place a mirror at end of long hallway.
10. Appealing Aroma – Pay special attention to the aroma of the home. Consider consulting a neutral nose, by having a friend visit for a smell test. A great way to create an enticing environment is to bake cookies just prior to a showing. You may also consider using a subtle air-freshener plug-in.
To receive customized information on the current value of your Orlando property, be sure to use visit the Home Valuation Tool.
Jeffrey G. Funk, P.A.
Realty Executives Central Florida
7932 West Sand Lake Road • Suite 302
Orlando, FL 32819